Rapallo is a municipality in the province of Genoa, in Liguria, northern Italy. As of 2007 it counts approximately 34,000 inhabitants, it is part of the Tigullio Gulf and is located in between Portofino and Chiavari.
The climate is moderate and the main part of town is on fairly level land. Many of the villas are built in the hills that rise immediately behind the city to protect them from strong northern winds.
Rapallo area is included in the Parco Naturale Regionale di Portofino, encompassing the territory of six communes.
The first settlement dates probably from the 8th century BC, although the findings have not clarified if it was Etruscan or Greek.
Conquered by the Lombards in 643, the village of Rapallo was included in the county of Genoa under Charlemagne. The name of the city appears for the first time in a document from 964. In 1203 the
Podestà of Rapallo was created, which in 1229 it became a Genoese dominion, remaining under that aegis until the Napoleonic Wars. Galleys from Rapallo took part to the famous Battle of Meloria of
1284. On September 5, 1494 it was captured by the Aragonese, but three days later 2,500 Swiss troops ousted them.
The castle on the seafront of Rapallo.
During the 16th century it was attacked and sacked by the Ottomans and Barbary pirates; to help defending the village against such attacks a castle was built on the seafront. In 1608 Rapallo was made into a Capitaneato (captainship) of its own, as part of the Republic of Genoa. In the late 18th century it was captured by the French who, after several clashes against Austro-Russian troops, in 1805 annexed it to the Apennins département. In 1814 the English freed it, and the following year the city was given to the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont as part of the Duchy of Genoa.
In late 1917, an Anglo-Franco-Italian conference met at Rapallo following the disastrous Italian defeat at Caporetto. It was decided to create a supreme war council at Versailles and to shift some French and British troops to the Italian front. On November 12, 1920, Italy and the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes (later renamed Yugoslavia) signed the Treaty of Rapallo, 1920, which resolved the frontier issues between them without reference to the other Allies. Italy acquired the strategically important crest of the Julian Alps as her boundary in the northeast. Also concluded at Rapallo was the Russian-German Treaty of Rapallo of April 1922, in which both countries renounced claims to war reparations and renewed diplomatic relations. This agreement marked the emergence of Russia and Germany from the diplomatic isolation caused by World War I (1914-1918).
During World War II numerous partisans from Rapallo were shot by German occupation troops.
Rapallo has been known for its climate that made it over the years the winter residence of preference for most of the affluent Italians living in the North West of Italy. Its proximity to the coast makes for mild winters where people can enjoy easy strolls on the sunny promenade and the golfers can enjoy one of the oldest courses in Italy, opened in 1930.
Friedrich Nietzsche wrote that the ideas for Zarathustra first came to him while walking on two roads surrounding Rapallo, according to Elisabeth Förster-Nietzsche in the introduction of Thomas Common’s translation of Thus Spake Zarathustra. The writer Ezra Pound spent much of the late 1920s and 1930s living in the town. The author, caricaturist and parodist Max Beerbohm lived in Rapallo from 1910 until his death in 1956, returning to Britain during World War I and World War II. The influential theatre designer and artist Gordon Craig lived in the Villa Raggio, next door to Beerbohm, from 1917 to 1928.
Camogli is a small town in the province of Genua on the Riviera Levante (East riviera) protected by the headland of Portofino and it is easy access from the north along the motorway A12 in the direction of Livorno, exit at Recco.
The historic centre grows up around the harbour with the parish church Basilica Minore, the Dragon Castle and the beatiful houses decorated.
The 11th century church and castle are found on the island , which today is a part of the old town centre, in the past this island was separated fronm the rochy coast by a wooden bridge.
The church is dedicated to the Virgin Santa Maria Assunta inside can be seen a richness of marble, frescoes and gilded cornices, fruits of the labour at sea of her faithful. The Castle reminds us of the time of the raids of the Saracen pirates, when it was connected to lookout posts on Monte of Portofino by an ingenious system of signals using smoke and fire. The port is full of boats of all kinds, many tourist ferry boats and fishing boats. You can see the traditional gozzi made of wood and the larger pescherecci used every day for commercial fishing.
The second Sunday of May is the famous Sagra del Pesce when for one day the fish are caught and fried in an enormous four-metre frying pan, in the square and then distributed free of charge.
All around the harbour in the carruggi can be seen many images of the Virgin Santa Mary.
They are a symbol of the deep religious sentiment this population of seafarers has always had in its soul, their continued desire for protection for the family at home and for the head of the family, far away at the mercy of the seas. You must visit the high buildings, the Oratorio di San Prospero and Caterina built in 1420, restored and decorated in baroque style.
There is also the Museo Marinaro (Maritime Museum), where are housed the historical documents and memorabilia relating to the important role this town has played in the development of the art of sailing, all of which have been donated by the great ship building families.
The symbol of the wealth of this town during the 1800′s is the Teatro Sociale, inaugurated in 1876, the theatre still belongs to the families of the ship owners who helped in the growth of this Citta’ dei Mille Bianchi Velieri.