Santa Margherita Ligure is a comune (municipality) in the province of Genoa in the Italian region Liguria, located about 35 km southeast of Genoa, in the Tigullio traditional
16th century castle.
Santa Margherita Ligure borders the following municipalities: Camogli, Portofino, Rapallo.
It has a port, used for both touristic and fishing activities. Part of comune territory is included in the Regional Natural Park of Portofino.
The presence of a Roman settlement has been not definitely proven. The burgh, known as Pescino, was devastated by Rothari in 641 and by the Saracens in the 10th century. Later it was a fief
of the Fieschi family until 1229, when it was acquired by the Republic of Genoa.
In 1432 it was attacked by the fleet of Venice and in 1549, together by Rapallo, by that of Turgut.
In 1813, under the Napoleonic domination, the two burghs of Pescino and Corte were unified as Porto Napoleone. Two years later it was annexed to the Kingdom of Sardinia as the commune of
Santa Margherita Ligure. In 1861 it became part of the newly unified Kingdom of Italy.
Connected by rail in the 20th century, Santa Margherita had become a renowned tourist resort after World War II.
At Santa Margherita, both maritime scenery and sensational hillside views can be enjoyed. Santa Margherita Ligure is situated on the Levante Riviera of Liguria, in the eastern part of the
Portofino peninsula and it is the furthest inland area of the Golf of Tigullio. This province, which is located about 35 km (22 miles) from Genoa, is surrounded by hills, covered with
Mediterranean foliage, on which villages and gardens can be found that allow stunning views of the Costa dei Delfini which surrounds the town of Portofino.
The harbour is used for mooring luxurious motor boats next to traditional fishing boats. It is also the location for important maritime sports activities, such as sailing, rowing and scuba
diving, and of social events such as the hosting of great international regattas.
The landscape – preserved as much as possible from major alterations through building expansion – tells the complete story of the city and of a hard-working and strong community. This facet
shows itself in the cyclopean work of using big, irregular stone blocks for the terracing of bordered terrains to make the most of olive cultivations, and in the cobbled paving of the streets
that climb up and across the hills, as well as in the last surviving, traditional olive presses and in small, isolated country houses.
A walk through the centre, amongst the numerous shops that give Santa its highly esteemed commercial value, should certainly not be missed: historical boutiques and big, international brands,
prestigious jewelleries and watchmakers’ shops, modern and elegant sports clothing shops and plentiful shoe shops.
Yet not only the commercial elite are here, but also many shops that suit the needs of both locals and tourists, such as alluring patisseries, traditional and tempting focaccerie (bakeries),
enticing perfumeries, historical grocers and new supermarkets, phone and technology specialist.
Most important however are the many, magnificent, legendary and colourful fish markets, where the best and freshest fish of the Golf of Tigullio can be bought, as well as the extraordinary
shrimps of Santa.
Join our newsletter to be the first to get our news and special offers. Unsubscribe available anytime!